July 31, 2017

Pt 34 UPDATE Engine vents and Display case

A photo etch set was finally released for detailing the 6 engine vents at the rear of the Falcon.  I never permanently secured my vents because I intended to add these once available. As with all of the photo etch I've added to my Falcon, they are from Paragrafix.   I highly recommend them for any fine detail photo etch additions.  Paul does fantastic work.



So here is the photo etch engine vents.







So first up was cutting out the vents...








Then the vents were placed between the jig that was also included with the photo etch.  You can see in the photo the 45 degree angled teeth.  








This allowed for me to lightly push down the vanes of the etch into a 45 degree angle so you can see inside the engine vents.









After which, the vertical pieces needed to be removed from the etch sheet...









 And glued in place on the vents.









 After this was the removal of the out ring...








Which was then glued to the vents.







Then primed and painted the matching body color.








Then center of the plastic engine vents then needed to be removed.  I did this by cutting out the center of the vents with a dremel saw....









 then carefully grinding out to the edge with a dremel...








then doing fine removal of excess plastic with an exacto blade.











The photo etch vents were then glued in place on the underside of the plastic vents.








I then airbrush the photo etched vents black 




 








I also got these 3D printed engine fans...









which were primed...








then the outer inside ring painted black...







 the detailing in the center painted with a black wash...










silver paint added to the edges of the blades as well as some dry brushing of silver along the top to simulated scrapes and scratches...









and some rust and soot weathering.   Because these are going to be underneath the photo etch vents, very little detail will be seen if any at all.








The fans are then glued in place under the photo etch.








And they turned out quite nice.  You can see through the vents and see the fans underneath.  Again, very little detailing can actually be seen, but the silver on the edges of the fan blades does pick up some light and you can see that there's a fan under there.









At this point, it was then finally securing the vents to the rear of the Falcon.

You can see in the following photos that they turned out quite nice.  You can definitely tell there are fans under there and it just adds more depth and realism to the vents.



















I also finally got my custom glass case I had made for my display table.  This really set it all off and gives it that museum quality look.








And a shot of the table without lights on.  You can see how the glass picks up the red from the table lighting and reflects it along the edges of the case.  I'm very happy with  the way this all turned out.







So thanks for joining me on the amazing journey of the building the Falcon.  Keep watch on my blog for further model build from the Star Wars universe.  I'm about done with my AT-ST, and then I'll begin on my Y-Wing fighter.








6 comments:

  1. Dear Mr Olson, congratulations on your build! It's such a beautiful ship. Your blog has been a major inspiration. I came across your blog as I searched for information on the deago falcon prior to deciding whether to buy or not. I built models as a kid but quit upon entering high school (no time or money). I started the Falcon with intention of building it "as is" and nothing more. As I read your blog I discovered optic fibers and decided to give a try, bought a modelers drill and then borrowed some acrylics and brushes from my sister to try paint as well. Recently I just started my led prototype and even trying to get my hands on some 3d customs. Just wanted to thank you for the inspiration, I I'll keep an eye on your future works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's how I started this build as well. I was just going to assemble "as is" and paint, but decided to add lighting as I began the build. Everything I did was brand new for me as well, and I taught myself by Google searching and such. So it can certainly be done. Good luck with your build. It's a wonderful kit and for me, was the most fun I've had doing a model.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Chris. Big fan. Saw your posts on YouTube and ordered the 12 month Millennium Falcon kit in October 2017. Really disappointed in Model Space. Went months between deliveries. Twice. They also sent same shipment to the wrong address. Twice. Hope to have all the parts by spring 2019. Read your bio as: Industry/Arts, Occupation/Entertainment, in CA. I was a comic book writer, artist & editor in NYC in the 1990’s. Moved to L.A. and have storyboarded 50 movies in the last 20 years. Good with my hands and getting close to retirement. Loved models as a child and was inspired by your work. I have more questions than you can answer here. Any chance to communicate through normal channels? Do you attend Comic-Con? I have two booths there, and am aware of issues with fan communication from past experience so if not, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've unfortunately only been to Comic-Con once, about a year ago. Can never get through online to get tickets.

      I was fortunate and had a great experience with modelspace. Never had any issues. But I got the kit pretty early on. I think it has more attention now.

      As for communication, I can be reached through my model email. modelsbychris@gmail.com It's not my main email, so I don't check it constantly, but I do check it about daily. Response depends on time of day and such, as I work full time and have family.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete